Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Timing is Everything...

Perhaps you've notice that I've been MIA lately. Sorry. Hopefully you've been looking forward to reading something new...hopefully I'll have something new for you to read!

I've been struggling with ideas lately. Specifically, struggling with finding GOOD ideas, usable ideas, writable ideas! My timing has been WAY off...most of my better ideas find their way into my mind at rather inopportune times. Let this be a lesson to me -- when the inspiration inspires, make it happen!!

Part of my challenge is just life in general -- there are demands a-plenty, just as with most other people's lives right now! Money, schedules, kids, jobs...if it's not one thing, it's fourteen others! Sound familiar? Thought so.

So what do we do? I guess the answer lies in that old adage about eating elephants -- you know the one? How do you eat an elephant? Yep, one bite at a time. So I get to take one day at a time, one deadline at a time, one priority at a time. In a way, that's really the best way to operate -- being IN the moment, putting first things first, staying focused...those things sound pretty simple don't they! Fortunately, they are. Unfortunately, they're not easy!

So here I sit again, way too late in the evening, taking steps toward reestablishing systems and structure and patterns, all of which will move me in the direction of what I want.

I think. I'm pretty sure, anyway!

Right now, I am going to wrap this up! Thanks for reading...I'll be back soon!

1 comment:

Don said...

I've been looking forward to seeing how you came out of your writers block. Good job! I think something you said in the 4th paragraph definitely speak to me. "One priority at a time." I've found a new way to help with that, called the Critical 6. Write down the 6 highest priority "critical" items you want to accomplish that day on a 3x5 card. Mark them off as you do them, and if you don't do them that day, transfer them to the top of the list for the next day.

I've been using it for a few weeks. It's not perfect, but it has definitely helped focus my attention.