Friday, September 12, 2008

So many thoughts....

...so little clarity. I hate it when this happens. My mind starts racing, and then just speeds up! Pretty soon, I'm traveling at mach speed down a road of jumbled thoughts usually leading nowhere.

Struggles are part of every life. Compared to most people, my struggles are minor! Almost microscopic! But that's not what my mind is telling me. It wants me to believe that this is as good as it will ever get. It wants me to believe that this is all I'm capable of. It wants me to believe that this is all too big and too complicated and too much to sort through.

What if I really believed all that chatter? What if I didn't know how to reprogram or turn off the volume on those negative voices? What if I embraced that defeat? What might that look like? Let's see...depression, anxiety, poor health, low energy, physical illness...not a very attractive outlook.

Something scary happens to me when I start giving an audience to the trash talk. I start to withdraw, because I'm "not supposed to have these struggles". Yep, another nasty little voice that wants me to use my struggles as evidence that I have no credibility in my job as I show other people how to change the recordings in their heads. How can I help anybody else? I cane even help myself!

Deep in my heart, I know what I'm capable of. I have a clear picture there of what I want. That's why I keep fighting. That's why I refuse to believe the talk. I know that I am more powerful than negativity. I have incredible tools, incredible opportunities, and a desire to get past this cycle of donward thinking.

Clearly, I have a lot of work to do. Thank God for another day to get started on it.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

Patricia Williams said...

Fight those negative thoughts, Girl! I don't know ANYONE who doesn't have all those thoughts sometimes. :) Tricia

Don said...

Just remember, you create your reality. A belief is simply something you say is true. And I would remind you of a quote often attributed to Nelson mandela, but really by Marianne Williamson. That includes a line something like "who are you NOT to?"!

Mindy, you are a much more powerful person than you give yourself credit for being. Perhaps you need to spend a few minutes or even an hour with your inner trainer. That person who comes out for EmpowerU weekends. I think she has a lot to offer you in the way of discipline, power, and forward motion!

Unknown said...

For what it's worth, I don't fight these moments. I find resistance even more exhausting. One of the things I took away from "the class" is that life is about ups and downs and it's OK to go through both.

That being said, I don't try to revel in the hard times. I deal with them in a similar way. I get them out. I talk to friends and family, or I also turn to the cathartic world of blogging.